Durham Prison Books Collective is an all-volunteer group that corresponds with prisoners and sends books and other reading material to prisoners all over North Carolina.
If you would like to support our project with funds, your donation will go a long way toward making a better day for and improving the lives of prisoners. Whether it’s connecting people with important information, helping embolden them to take action, or simply providing entertaining books, our group seeks to provide a meaningful connection to the outside world for people behind bars.
Here is just a sample of some of the love sent our way:
- “I’d like to start by thanking you for everything you do for us inmates. Many times the simple pleasure of a book has helped remove me from the environment I’m in and preserve my sanity. Needless to say, your organization and ones like it are very appreciated.”
- “I wanted to write and thank you so very much for the books! I am so glad and appreciate you putting me on your mailing list…Can’t say enough of how grateful I am!”
- “Once again many thanks for the books and all you do. Much respect to you all my friends at Prison Books Collective…Thank you also for your letter and condolences, it means a lot. Now I have no family or friends. Just to know someone on the outside cares helps so much. Looking forward to hearing from you and receiving your books. You pick them this time. I would greatly appreciate it.”
- “Thanks so much for being there for me. These books help my time fly by. Books help me a lot!!! Take care and know that you make a difference to a lot of us.”
- “Anything (you can send) would be AWESOME! Thank you for what you are doing.”
- “Just wanted to thank all of you for your tireless efforts in trying to release the burden of oppression from our shoulders. We all truly appreciate everything you do for us and making sure we are not forgotten. Though you may not hear it enough our thanks go out to all of you. –P.S. Thanks so much for Spartacus. I’m enjoying it immensely. Also, The Last Child was one of the best books I’ve read here. Excited to get started on The Slave Narratives.”
- “Dear Prison Books Collective—I received the books you sent and I really do thank you. I and people like me with no family and no income really look forward to these books. Again, thank you. Yours truly, T.G.”
To show the wide range of reading interests and information needs of prisoners:
- “I’m requesting for a Webster’s Dictionary and a book on starting a small business in trucking and how to start a small business. Thank you and have a bless day.”